Serial Killer Leonard Lake’s Wife Said She Thought He Was ‘Living This Very Active Fantasy’
Serial Killer Leonard Lake’s Wife Said She Thought He Was ‘Living This Very Active Fantasy’
After Leonard Lake’s arrest and jailhouse suicide, police looked to his wife for answers. What did she tell them?

Leonard Lake was arrested near San Francisco for carrying a gun and an illegal silencer in a stolen car.

The cabin in Wilseyville is owned by Lake's ex-wife, Claralyn "Cricket" Balazs. The New York Post reported that Lake and his associate had used the secluded property as a torture-murder compound. The cabin where the human remains were found was also the location of videotapes and written documents detailing Lake's depraved plans for enslaving women.

The Oxygen show, "Manifesto of a Serial Killer," takes a deep dive into the shocking case of the two serial killers who worked in tandem to kill and torture women. What did Lake's ex-wife know about the cabin?

Lake married Balazs in 1981 after she worked as a teacher's aide. The New York Times reported that they separated a year later. She continued to have a relationship with him after the split.

The police knew there were multiple killers in Baton Rouge. In hunting mode. At Once.

According to a 1985 Associated Press report, a key witness in the investigation was Balazs, who was in custody after Lake poisoned himself and died. Questions were left for investigators about what Lake had done.

The photographs of 21 women found inside a bunker on the Wilseyville property were one of the mysteries detectives faced. The man was questioned about the pictures.

According to Ed Erdelatz, a homicide detective with the San Francisco Police Department, Claralyn admitted that Leonard Lake liked to take pictures of young girls.

Did she know that he was torturing and murdering them?

Erdelatz said that she thought he was living a fantasy life. She didn't believe that he was going to commit all these crimes and abduct women.

Mark of a serial killer episodes are available to watch. Our free app is in it.

The attorney was hired after the police interview.

According to Erdelatz, that was the end of any more interviews with Claralyn.

The public eye was on Balazs. The Los Angeles Times reported in 1985 that she received death threats.

In a statement, he said he had cooperated with the police to the best of his ability. I am concerned for the people affected by this investigation. I will not make any further statements at this time.

The legal team for Balazs asked for blanket immunity before sharing more information. In return for immunity from prosecution, Balazs agreed to testify.

She was not asked any questions by the prosecution after taking the witness stand. The story of the torture murders of Charles and Leonard Lake. She was considered an unreliable witness by attorneys.

Her testimony was also blocked by defense lawyers.

Jim Wieder, a former Bay Area crime reporter, told "Manifesto of a Serial Killer" that police could not prove that Claralyn was involved in the horrors that occurred there.

No charges were ever filed against him.

To learn more about the case and what happened with the Wilseyville cabin, watch "Manifesto of a Serial Killer" on


1. a stolen car

2. cabin in Wilseyville, California

3. torture-murder compound

4. videotapes and written documents


6. “Operation Miranda,”

7. The Associated Press.

8. Manifesto of a Serial Killer,”

9. two serial killers

10. the New York Times reported in 1985

11. RELATED: How Police Knew Baton Rouge Had Multiple Killers ‘In Hunting Mode’ At Once

12. a 1985 Associated Press report

13. poisoned himself and died.

14. the Los Angeles Times reported in 1985

15. “blanket immunity”

16. not asked any questions

17. according to “Die For Me: The Terrifying Story of Charles Ng/Leonard Lake Torture Murders.”

18. Maclean’s reported

19. “Manifesto of a Serial Killer,”

What's your reaction?


0 comment

Write the first comment for this!

Facebook Conversations

Disqus Conversations