The Chiefs would be wise to avoid a championship hangover, and the cure for that starts at the 2023 NFL Draft.
Patrick Mahomes had another season for the ages in 2022, capping off an MVP campaign with his second Super Bowl title in four years. So, how much help does he really need?
Well, the answer is: more. The Chiefs had a makeshift offensive unit with wide receivers last year, and after departures of JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mecole Hardman this offseason, they're going to need to attack the depth chart once again to get it filled out behind Kadarius Toney.
Mahomes could also use some help up front. Kansas City took something of a gamble on Jawaan Taylor this offseason, hoping the former Jaguar can make the switch from right to left tackle to replace a departing Orlando Brown Jr. The Chiefs have made it clear that you probably shouldn't bet against them, but insurance never hurt anybody.
With 10 picks in this year's NFL Draft, the Chiefs are loaded once again — and may be loaded with talent come Week 1. Here's what to know about this year's selections:
Chiefs draft picks 2023: Who did Kansas City take?
- Round 1, Pick 31: Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE, Kansas State
- Round 2, Pick 55: Rashee Rice, WR, SMU
- Round 3, Pick 92: Wanya Morris, OT, Oklahoma
- Round 4, Pick 119: Chamarri Conner, CB, Virginia Tech
- Round 5, Pick 166: B.J. Thompson, LB, Stephen F. Austin
- Round 6, Pick 194: Keondre Coburn, DT, Texas
- Round 7, Pick 250: Nic Jones, CB, Ball State
Chiefs NFL Draft order 2023
|4||122 (from MIA)|
|6||178 (from CHI via MIA)|
* - Compensatory selection
Chiefs NFL Draft needs
- Wide receiver: Yeah, Patrick Mahomes is good, but he can't do it all by himself. The Chiefs already lost JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mecole Hardman during free agency, on the heels of the famed Tyreek Hill trade from before the 2022 season. They're going to need wide receiver help this draft, and in a big way.
- EDGE: The Chiefs moved on from Frank Clark this offseason, leaving a void out on the edge. Chris Jones will be able to pressure up the middle, but they're going to need pass rush help out wide.
- Offensive tackle: After opting not to resign Orlando Brown Jr., the Chiefs signed Jawaan Taylor to protect Mahomes' blind side. They're going to need help on the right side, though — and maybe the left, if Taylor's move to the left side doesn't work out how'd they hope.
Chiefs mock draft 2023
Here is how the Chiefs draft will unfold in 2023, according to TSN's Vinnie Iyer's seven-round mock draft:
|1||31||Isaiah Foskey||EDGE||Notre Dame|
|3||95||Kyu Blu Kelly||CB||Stanford|
|6||178||Deuce Vaughn||RB||Kansas State|
|6||217||Dante Stills||DT||West Virginia|
|7||250||Jerrod Clark||DT||Coastal Carolina|