The Cowboys came up painfully short again in the playoffs last season, following up a blowout of the Buccaneers with a loss to the 49ers in the divisional round.
Jerry Jones made a few notable changes in the offseason, releasing Ezekiel Elliott and firing offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, but the braintrust remains in place. The draft now gives Dallas a chance to re-stock the roster and aim for a deeper playoff run.
Barring trades, this draft is a pretty straight shot for the Cowboys. They have one pick in each round, starting with the 26th overall selection on Thursday night.
While Dallas has a playoff-caliber roster, the Chiefs proved last season that a strong draft can be the difference between the playoffs and a championship. Is this the year the Cowboys can grab enough talent to get over the hump?
The Sporting News is tracking the Cowboys' 2023 NFL Draft selections. Follow along with the picks below.
Cowboys draft picks 2023: Who did Dallas take?
- Round 1, Pick No. 26: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
- Round 2, Pick No. 58: Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
- Round 3, Pick No. 90: DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas
- Round 4, Pick No. 129: Viliami Fehoko, EDGE, San Diego State
- Round 5, Pick No. 169: Asim Richards, OT, North Carolina
- Round 6, Pick No. 178: Eric Scott Jr., CB, Southern Miss
- Round 6, Pick No. 212: Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State
- Round 7, Pick No. 244: Jalen Brooks, WR, South Carolina
Cowboys NFL Draft needs
- Defensive tackle: The Cowboys still look like they're missing an imposing run-stuffer on their defensive line. Johnathan Hankins is a stopgap signing, while Neville Gallimore and Osa Odighizuwa haven't emerged as reliable long-term starters to this point. Finding a powerful player to plug into that spot should be on Jones' mind in this draft.
- Tight end: The offense might be missing something going forward without Dalton Schultz. Jake Ferguson made some plays as a rookie last season, but can the Cowboys confidently move forward with him playing a major role in the offense? If this team wants to win a Super Bowl, the answer probably isn't a yes. In a loaded tight end draft, finding an answer at the position might be a priority for Dallas.
- Offensive line: The Cowboys could use some added depth across the offensive line. Tyron Smith is entering year 13, Zack Martin is entering year 10, and Tyler Smith might be the only promising young talent on the line with Tyler Biadasz still struggling to truly emerge. Tyler Smith's versatility could mask the lack of depth here, but the line would benefit from an influx of a developmental prospect or two.
Cowboys mock draft 2023
Here is how the Cowboys' draft could unfold in 2023, according to TSN's Vinnie Iyer's seven-round mock draft:
|5||169||Brenton Strange||TE||Penn State|